A unique festival of Nordic and Scottish music, song and dance based in Edinburgh celebrates its 16th year with another diverse line-up of invited guests from 26-28 April.
Guests taking part in the 16th Northern Streams festival are:
- Kata – a quintet of females who sing traditional songs from the Faroe Islands (pictured)
- Caolmhar – a young quartet from Sweden that play a range of Nordic & Scottish music and songs. 3 members from V-Dala Spelmanslag – Sweden’s longest-running student folk ensemble & three times student world champions!
- Jocelyn Pettit with Rav Sira & Ellen Gira – Award-winning Canadian fiddler, step dancer and singer, Jocelyn Pettit, joins accomplished Norwegian guitarist Rav Sira, and seasoned cellist Ellen Gira, in an exciting new collaboration. Studying in Glasgow, these top young musicians debut their first headline concert since forming.
The festival opens with an evening concert on Friday, then a concert and ceilidh on Saturday – to give you the opportunity to try Nordic dances alongside the Scottish ones you are likely to know already.
All dances will be called or demonstrated.
There are workshops during the day on Saturday covering tunes, songs and dances from Scotland, Sweden, Norway and the Faroe Islands, with some highlights including:
Sat 27 April: Northern Streams Workshops
£8/£6 per workshop
Each workshop is 1.5 hours long between 10.30am-4.30pm.
Children aged 9+ can attend workshops, as long as they are at the level specified and accompanied by an adult.
- Norwegian Tunes & Accompaniment | 10.30am-12noon: Learn a tune (or two), discuss dance rhythms and explore accompaniment options. For all melody & accompaniment instruments – Intermediate level upwards.
- Faroe Islands Songs | 1pm -2.30pm
expected to include an example of a Faroese song dance – for all including beginners.
- Scottish/Cape Breton Step Dance & Playing for Dancing | 3pm-4.30pm
Learn some steps, discuss how step dancing relates to the music and how to play for step dancers. Suitable for all melody instruments at intermediate level upwards and for all dancers, including beginners.
- Friday 26 April: Jocelyn Pettit with Rav Sira & Ellen Gira
Cape Breton/Scottish Step dancing, then a joint concert with Caolmhar – plenty of opportunity for a dance or two!
- Saturday 27 April: Kata & The Northern Streams Ceilidh Band
After Kata get everyone in the mood, the chairs get pushed back for a two hour ceilidh – with The Northern Streams Ceilidh Band (Scotland/Norway/Sweden) created from Festival guest musicians, allowing all the opportunity to try out Scottish and Nordic dances – which will be called/demonstrated – or you can just sit and listen to the great sounds!
Ticket prices range from £6 – £35 (weekend ticket).
Concessions include TMSA members & Young Scot cardholders.
If you book in advance you could WIN an Ikea voucher!
Northern Streams is organised by the Traditional Music and Song Association (TMSA) Edinburgh & Lothians Branch.